- 2 cups fresh baby kale (2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup canned reduced-sodium garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 1 1/2 ounces Parmesan cheese, finely shredded
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, quartered
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 ounces whole grain penne pasta
- 3 cups seeded and chopped tomatoes (6 medium)
- Shaved Parmesan cheese
- For pesto, in a food processor combine kale, basil, garbanzo beans, the finely shredded Parmesan cheese, the lemon juice, oil, garlic, kosher salt, and pepper. Cover and pulse with 3 or 4 on/off turns until starting to mix; process until finely chopped, scraping down sides as necessary.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain well. Stir pesto into hot pasta. Fold tomatoes into pasta mixture. Garnish with shaved Parmesan cheese and black olives. Serve warm or at room temperature.