Grilled Tangy Beef Skewers
- 1 pound beef flank steak, trimmed*
- 1/4 cup 100%-pure passion fruit juice or papaya juice, such as Cere's brand
- 4 tablespoons very thinly sliced green onions (2)
- 4 1/2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon finely minced fresh ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 12 assorted miniature sweet peppers, halved lengthwise
- Nonstick cooking spray
- For the marinade, in a medium bowl whisk together passion fruit juice, 2 tablespoons of the green onions, the soy sauce, oil, ginger, cumin, coriander, and 1/2 teaspoon of the black pepper; set aside.
- For the drizzle, in a small bowl whisk together lemon juice, lime juice, salt, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, whisking until salt is dissolved. Cover and chill until serving time.
- Slice meat across the grain into thin slices. Place meat in a resealable plastic bag. Pour marinade over meat; seal bag, turning to coat meat. Place in a shallow dish. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator 1 to 2 hours.
- Thread meat slices accordion-style onto twelve 12-inch skewers,** adding sweet peppers with meat. Lightly coat grill rack with cooking spray.
- For a charcoal or gas grill, grill skewers on prepared rack of a covered grill directly over medium-high heat about 4 minutes or until meat is desired doneness, turning once halfway through grilling time. Transfer to a serving platter. Drizzle with the lemon-lime mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons green onions.
Tip: For easier cutting, freeze flank steak 30 to 60 minutes before slicing.
If using wooden skewers, soak in enough water to cover for 30 minutes; drain before using.