Healthy Green Bean Casserole
1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon dry ranch salad dressing mix
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 cups milk
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 large onions, halved and sliced (2 cups)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1 cup soft whole wheat bread crumbs (1 1/3 slices bread)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large saucepan, cook green beans in lightly salted boiling water for 10 minutes; drain and place in a 2-quart rectangular baking dish; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan heat butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, dry dressing mix, salt, and pepper until combined. Whisk in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly; remove from heat.
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic; cook and stir for 4 to 5 minutes or until tender and starting to brown. Remove 1/2 cup of the onion mixture; set aside.
- Add mushrooms to skillet and cook about 5 minutes or until tender. Stir into sauce mixture. Pour over beans in dish; toss with tongs to coat.
- In a small bowl, stir together reserved onion mixture and bread crumbs. Sprinkle bread crumb mixture over bean mixture in casserole. Bake, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes or until heated through.