Chicken Tortilla Soup
Serve with chopped cilantro, cubed avocados, and crumbled Jack cheese for garnish
- 9 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 6 cloves roasted garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, sliced into rings (For a milder flavor, remove seeds and white membrane)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced
- 2 cups shredded, cooked chicken meat
- 1 lime, juiced
- 6 (6 inch) corn tortillas, cut into strips and toasted for garnish
- In heavy pot, bring the broth to a boil. Add garlic, tomatoes, chopped onion, jalapeno, and oregano to the broth. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Broil the sliced onions until soft and a little brown. Add broiled onions, chicken, lime juice to soup, and simmer just until chicken is heated to avoid overcooking the chicken.
- Place toasted tortilla strips in each bowl and pour soup over strips.